lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Ere Maijala <ere.maij...@helsinki.fi>
Subject Re: Long STW GCs with Solr Cloud
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2016 07:06:51 GMT
16.6.2016, 1.41, Shawn Heisey kirjoitti:
> If you want to continue avoiding G1, you should definitely be using
> CMS.  My recommendation right now would be to try the G1 settings on my
> wiki page under the heading "Current experiments" or the CMS settings
> just below that.

For what it's worth, we're currently running Shawn's G1 settings
slightly modified for our workload on Java 1.8.0_91 25.91-b14:

GC_TUNE=" \
-XX:+UseG1GC \
-XX:+ParallelRefProcEnabled \
-XX:G1HeapRegionSize=16m \
-XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=200 \
-XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions \
-XX:G1NewSizePercent=3 \
-XX:ParallelGCThreads=12 \
-XX:+UseLargePages \
-XX:+AggressiveOpts \
"

It seems that our highly varying loads during day vs. night caused some
issues leading to long pauses until I added the G1NewSizePercent (which
needs +UnlockExperimentalVMOptions). Things are running smoothly and
there are reports that the warnings regarding G1 with Lucene tests don't
happen anymore with the newer Java versions, but it's of course up to
you if you're willing to take the chance.

Regards,
Ere