lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Wartes <jwar...@whitepages.com>
Subject Re: What if adding 3rd node exceeds replication Factor? [scottchu]
Date Wed, 25 May 2016 16:26:16 GMT
SolrCloud never creates replicas automatically, unless perhaps you’re using the HDFS-only
autoAddReplicas option. Start the new node using the same ZK, and then use the Collections
API (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Collections+API) to ADDREPLICA.

The replicationFactor you specified at collection creation is pretty much ignored after creation.

On 5/25/16, 8:53 AM, "Scott Chu" <scott.chu@udngroup.com> wrote:

>I start 2 nodes and a zk ensemble to manager these nodes. Then I create a collection with
numShards=1 and replicationFactor=2 on 1st node. It spread onto 2 nodes (meaning 1 leader,
1 replica). Now I want to add 3rd node but don't do splitsharding. Before I try I want to
ask some questions: Do I just start node3 and join in same zk ensemble, Solrcloud will automatically
create replica on 3rd node? Or do I have to manually call some API to add replica to 3rd node?
Either way, doesn't this exceed the replicationFactor?