lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: state.json being downloaded every 10 seconds
Date Tue, 17 May 2016 03:56:28 GMT
With the per-collection state.json, if "something" goes to a node that doesn't
host a replica for a node, it downloads the state for the "other"
collection then
throws it away.

In this case, "something" is apparently asking the nodes hosting collectionA to
do "something" with collections B and/or C. Some support for this would
be if further investigation shows that the nodes that _do_ re-download the
info did _not_ have replicas B and C.

What the "something" is that sends requests I'm not quite sure, but
that's a place
to start.

Best,
Erick

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 11:08 AM, Jeff Wartes <jwartes@whitepages.com> wrote:

> I have a solr 5.4 cluster with three collections, A, B, C.
> Nodes either host replicas for collection A, or B and C. Collections B and C are not
currently used - no inserts or queries. Collection A is getting significant query traffic,
but no insert traffic, and queries are only directed to nodes hosting replicas for collection
A. ZK timeout is set to 15 seconds.

> I’ve noticed via tcpdump that, every 10 seconds exactly, several of the nodes (but
not all) hosting collection A re-download the state.json for collections B and C. This behavior
survives JVM restart.

> This isn’t a huge deal, the extra traffic isn’t very meaningful, but it’s odd and
smells like a bug somewhere. Anyone seen something like this?