lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Charlie Hull <char...@flax.co.uk>
Subject Re: Hierarchial Support - Solr
Date Thu, 19 May 2016 07:53:45 GMT
On 18/05/2016 17:55, thiaga rajan wrote:

> Hi Team,
>     We are exploring solr for one of our project as a search engine. It was a really
a great tool around indexing and response time. While we are exploring we got the below questions
and understandings. Kindly confirm the same.

> We are actually trying to implement the search engine for a hierarchical search. (Tree
structure). We have flatten our data structure and exported the data in to solr as solr is
more meant for flat structure in terms of request and response
      ------13-----------------------------131,132,133
> Our data structure will resemble something like the below and exported the same in Solr.
Now when the customer enters the key for search, we need to search in the below structure.
Each of the row in the below table corresponds to the each of the document in Solr.
> We were able to achieve this in the below structure but need to confirm on the below
items.
> 1. Search the Level with the keyword and send only the parent and not the children of
the node
> Example - if the user enters 12, then we need only 1,12 and not the children(ie 121)
> I assume we dont have a choice to achieve with Solr and we need to write a custom implementation
for this. Correct me if i am wrong.
> 2. We need to do the distinct selection for each of the document. Example while if the
search keyword is 11, then i should send 1,11(Kind of select distinct from sql Select distinct
L1,L2)) I have read various forums on this and looks like we have options around facet, grouping.
> But not exactly the same which we are asking for similar to the Sql distinct. If we are
not able to get the distinct results, how we will apply the pagination. Example - if the page
size is 1 to 10, if we have 5 duplicate documents, then if we take a distinct of those, it
might fail as still we have space for another 5 records.  We understand faceting is arranging
the results based on a faceted field rather than giving the results in the requested way.
> Please confirm of our understanding on the above options. Thanks
> Document structure below

Hi,

This sounds a bit like the Siren implementation
https://siren.solutions/siren/faqs/ where the heirarchical structure is
encoded in a document. I'm pretty sure this is a commercial add-on though.

You might also take a look at the open source ontology indexer for Solr
we developed as part of the BioSolr project:
https://github.com/flaxsearch/BioSolr/tree/master/ontology

Regards

Charlie

--