lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Bhaumik Joshi <bhaumik.jo...@outlook.com>
Subject Re: Soft commit does not affecting query performance
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2016 10:00:13 GMT
Hi Bill,

Please find below reference.

http://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/5-4-x/topics/search_tuning_solr.html
*         "Enable soft commits and set the value to the largest value that meets your requirements.
The default value of 1000 (1 second) is too aggressive for some environments."

Thanks & Regards,

Bhaumik Joshi

________________________________
From: billnbell@gmail.com <billnbell@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2016 7:07 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Soft commit does not affecting query performance

Why do you think it would ?

Bill Bell
Sent from mobile

> On Apr 11, 2016, at 7:48 AM, Bhaumik Joshi <bjoshi@asite.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> We are doing query performance test with different soft commit intervals. In the test
with 1sec of soft commit interval and 1min of soft commit interval we didn't notice any improvement
in query timings.

> We did test with SolrMeter (Standalone java tool for stress tests with Solr) for 1sec
soft commit and 1min soft commit.

> Index stats of test solr cloud: 0.7 million documents and 1 GB index size.
>
> Solr cloud has 2 shard and each shard has one replica.
>

> Please find below detailed test readings: (all timings are in milliseconds)
>

> Soft commit - 1sec
> Queries per sec                 Updates per sec               Total Queries
           Total Q time       Avg Q Time         Total Client time       Avg Client time
> 1                                              5
         100                                         44340                    443
                48834                                    488
> 5                                              5
         101                                         128914                  1276
              143239                                  1418
> 10                                           5
       104                                         295325                  2839
            330931                                  3182
> 25                                           5
       102                                         675319                  6620
            793874                                  7783

> Soft commit - 1min
> Queries per sec                 Updates per sec               Total Queries
           Total Q time       Avg Q Time         Total Client time       Avg Client time
> 1                                              5
         100                                         44292                    442
                48569                                    485
> 5                                              5
         105                                         131389                  1251
              147174                                  1401
> 10                                           5
       102                                         299518                  2936
            337748                                  3311
> 25                                           5
       108                                         742639                  6876
            865222                                  8011

[http://www.buildearthlive.com/resources/images/BuildEarthLiveLogo-Hyperloop-2.png]<http://www.buildearthlive.com/hyperloop>

The Hyperloop Station Design Competition - Build Earth Live<http://www.buildearthlive.com/hyperloop>
www.buildearthlive.com