lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Wartes <jwar...@whitepages.com>
Subject Re: Solr 5.2.1 on Java 8 GC
Date Thu, 28 Apr 2016 17:02:40 GMT

Shawn Heisey’s page is the usual reference guide for GC settings: https://wiki.apache.org/solr/ShawnHeisey
Most of the learnings from that are in the Solr 5.x startup scripts already, but your heap
is bigger, so your mileage may vary.

Some tools I’ve used while doing GC tuning:

* VisualVM - Comes with the jdk. It has a Visual GC plug-in that’s pretty nice for visualizing
what’s going on in realtime, but you need to connect it via jstatd for that to work.
* GCViewer - Visualizes a GC log. The UI leaves a lot to be desired, but it’s the best tool
I’ve found for this purpose. Use this fork for jdk 6+ - https://github.com/chewiebug/GCViewer
* Swiss Java Knife has a bunch of useful features - https://github.com/aragozin/jvm-tools
* YourKit - I’ve been using this lately to analyze where garbage comes from. It’s not
free though.
* Eclipse Memory Analyzer - I used this to analyze heap dumps before I got a YourKit license:
http://www.eclipse.org/mat/

Good luck!