lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jostein Elvaker Haande <jehaa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Deleted documents and expungeDeletes
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2016 12:23:40 GMT
On 30 March 2016 at 12:25, Markus Jelsma <markus.jelsma@openindex.io> wrote:
> Hello - with TieredMergePolicy and default reclaimDeletesWeight of 2.0, and frequent
updates, it is not uncommon to see a ratio of 25%. If you want deletes to be reclaimed more
often, e.g. weight of 4.0, you will see very frequent merging of large segments, killing performance
if you are on spinning disks.

Most of our installations are on spinning disks, so if I want a more
aggressive reclaim, this will impact performance. This is of course
something that I do not desire, so I'm wondering if scheduling a
commit with 'expungeDeletes' during off peak business hours is a
better approach than setting up a more aggressive merge policy.

--
Yours sincerely Jostein Elvaker Haande
"A free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular"

http://tolecnal.net -- tolecnal at tolecnal dot net