lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Aswath Srinivasan (TMS)" <aswath.sriniva...@toyota.com>
Subject RE: PERFORMANCE WARNING: Overlapping onDeckSearchers=2
Date Mon, 21 Mar 2016 21:55:19 GMT
If you're seeing a crash, then that's a distinct problem from the WARN -- it might be related
tothe warning, but it's not identical -- Solr doesn't always (or even normally) crash in the
"Overlapping onDeckSearchers"
situation

That is what I hoped for. But I could see nothing else in the log. All I'm trying to do is
run a full import in the DIH handler and index some 10 records from DB and check the "commit'
check box. Then when I immediately re-run the full import again OR do a reload config, I start
seeing this warning and my collection crashes.

I have turn off autocommit in the solrconfig.

I can try and avoid frequent hard commits but I wanted a solution to overcome this WARN if
an accidental frequent hard commit happens.

Thank you,
Aswath NS

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Hostetter [mailto:hossman_lucene@fucit.org]
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2016 2:26 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: RE: PERFORMANCE WARNING: Overlapping onDeckSearchers=2

: What I'm wondering is, what should one do to fix this issue when it
: happens. Is there a way to recover? after the WARN appears.

It's just a warning that you have a sub-optimal situation from a performance standpoint --
either committing too fast, or warming too much.
It's not a failure, and Solr will continue to serve queries and process updates -- but meanwhile
it's detected that the situation it's in involves wasted CPU/RAM.

: In my observation, this WARN comes when I hit frequent hard commits or
: hit re-load config. I'm not planning on to hit frequent hard commits,
: however sometimes accidently it happens. And when it happens the
: collection crashes without a recovery.

If you're seeing a crash, then that's a distinct problem from the WARN -- it might be related
tothe warning, but it's not identical -- Solr doesn't always (or even normally) crash in the
"Overlapping onDeckSearchers"
sitaution

So if you are seeing crashes, please give us more detials about these
crashes: namely more details about everything you are seeing in your logs (on all the nodes,
even if only one node is crashing)