lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Charlie Hull <char...@flax.co.uk>
Subject Re: Indexing Twitter - Hypothetical
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2016 09:19:37 GMT
On 03/03/2016 19:25, Toke Eskildsen wrote:
> Joseph Obernberger <joseph.obernberger@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi All - would it be reasonable to index the Twitter 'firehose'
>> with Solr Cloud - roughly 500-600 million docs per day indexing
>> each of the fields (about 180)?
>
> Possible, yes. Reasonable? It is not going to be cheap.
>
> Twitter index the tweets themselves and have been quite open about
> how they do it. I would suggest looking for their presentations;
> slides or recordings. They have presented at Berlin Buzzwords and
> Lucene/Solr Revolution and probably elsewhere too. The gist is that
> they have done a lot of work and custom coding to handle it.

As I recall they're not using Solr, but rather an in-house layer built
on a customised version of Lucene. They're indexing around half a
trillion tweets.

If the idea is to provide a searchable archive of all tweets, my first
question would be 'why': if the idea is to monitor new tweets for
particular patterns there are better ways to do this (Luwak for example).

Charlie

--
Charlie Hull
Flax - Open Source Enterprise Search