lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: How to deploy Solr 5.5 in Tomcat 8
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2016 01:05:26 GMT
On 2/29/2016 4:09 PM, Marcin T wrote:
> Since Solr 5.x there is no web archive (war) in standard distribution.
> So I'm building a web archive (war) and I'm deploying it in my Tomcat
> 8 container. It works to Solr 5.3. Since Solr 5.4 it doesn't works
<snip>
> How can I solve this problem?

Don't deploy in Tomcat.  Yes, I'm completely serious.  Since 5.0, the
project no longer supports deploying in third-party containers.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Major+Changes+from+Solr+4+to+Solr+5#MajorChangesfromSolr4toSolr5-SolrisNowaStandaloneServer

If you really want to deploy version 5.5 in Tomcat, ask somebody in a
Tomcat support location how to deploy an exploded webapp (not a .war
file).  Basically, you need to do the equivalent of the following (this
is the Jetty context fragment used in Solr 5.x):

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE Configure PUBLIC "-//Jetty//Configure//EN"
"http://www.eclipse.org/jetty/configure_9_0.dtd">
<Configure class="org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext">
  <Set name="contextPath"><Property name="hostContext"
default="/solr"/></Set>
  <Set name="war"><Property name="jetty.base"/>/solr-webapp/webapp</Set>
  <Set name="defaultsDescriptor"><Property
name="jetty.base"/>/etc/webdefault.xml</Set>
  <Set name="extractWAR">false</Set>
</Configure>

I also built this community wiki page:

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/WhyNoWar#Solr_5.3_and_later