lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From <jimi.hulleg...@svensktnaringsliv.se>
Subject RE: Why is multiplicative boost prefered over additive?
Date Sat, 19 Mar 2016 09:13:53 GMT
On Friday, March 18, 2016 5:11 PM, wunder@wunderwood.org wrote:

> I used a popularity score based on the DVD being in people's queues and the streaming
views.
> The Peter Jackson films were DVD only. They were in about 100 subscriber queues.
> The first Twilight film was in 1.25 million queues.
> Now think about the query "twilight zone". How do you make "Twilight" not be the first
hit for that?

1. Maybe your popularity value should include more types of "views", maybe both Netflix-internal
(like total dvd rental, the last X days back, or since forever), and netflix-external (like
total number of movie-tickets sold, worldwide or in the same country).
2. Shouldn't the word "zone" exclude the twilight movies altogether, or at least boost the
results with that word in the title?
3. Maybe the popularity has a too much of influence on the score?
4. I never said my reasoning about normalizing popularity was applicable to your use case.
On the contrary, like I said before, I focused on our own use case.

/Jimi