lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Maulin Rathod <mrat...@asite.com>
Subject Solr Configuration (Caching & RAM) for performance Tuning
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2016 06:09:09 GMT
Hi,

We are using Solr 5.2 (on windows 2012 server/jdk 1.8) for document content indexing/querying.
We found that querying slows down intermittently under load condition.

In our analysis we found two issues.

1) Solr is not effectively using caching.

Whenever new document indexed, it opens new searcher and hence cache will become invalid (as
cache was associated with old Index Searcher). In our scenario, new documents are indexed
very frequently (at least 10 document are indexed per minute). So effectively cache will not
be useful as it will open new searcher frequently to make new documents available for searching.
How can improve caching usage?

2) RAM is not utilized

We observed that Solr is using only 1-2 GB of heap even though we have assign 50 GB. Seems
like it is not loading index into RAM which leads to high IO. Is it possible to configure
Solr to fully load indexes in memory?  Don't find any documentation about this. How can we
increase RAM usage to improve Solr performance?

Regards,

Maulin

[CC Award Winners 2015]