lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Clemens Wyss DEV <clemens...@mysign.ch>
Subject AW: Hard commits, soft commits and transaction logs
Date Fri, 05 Feb 2016 07:34:43 GMT
Thanks Erick.
I guess I'll go the 3>-way, i.e. optimize the index "whenever appropriate".
Could I alternatively ("whenever appropriate") issue a '/suggest?spellcheck.build=true'-request?

> bq: Suggestions are re-built on commit
Agree. That was for unitTesting purposes only.
In production we have  <str name="buildOnOptimize">true</str>

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Erick Erickson [mailto:erickerickson@gmail.com]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 4. Februar 2016 19:39
An: solr-user
Betreff: Re: Hard commits, soft commits and transaction logs

bq: and suggestions of deleted docs are...

OK, this is something different than I read the first time. I'm assuming that when you mention
suggestions, you're using one of the suggesters that works off the indexed terms, which will
include data from deleted docs. There's really not a good mechanism other than getting all
the data associated with deleted documents out of there that I know of in that scenario. What
people have done:

1> Just lived with it. On a reasonably large corpus, the number of
1> suggestions
that aren't actually in a live document is often very small, small enough to ignore. In this
case you might be seeing something because of your tests that makes no practical difference.

I'll add parenthetically that users will get empty results even if all the terms suggested
are in "live" docs assuming they, say, add filter queries. Imagine a filter query restricting
the returns to docs dated yesterday and suggestions come back from docs dated 5 days ago.

2> Curate the suggestions. In this scenario there's a fixed list of
2> terms in a
text file that you suggest from.

3> Optimize the index. This is usually only really acceptable for setups
3> where
the index changes infrequently (e.g nightly or something) which doesn't sound like it fits
your scenario at all.

bq: Suggestions are re-built on commit

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this is likely to not work at all for production
in a NRT setup. This will take far too much time on a significantly-sized corpus to be feasible.
At least that's my fear, I'm mostly advising you to check this before even trying to scale
up.

Best,
Erick

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 11:07 PM, Clemens Wyss DEV <clemensdev@mysign.ch> wrote:
> Sorry for coming back to this topic:
> You (Erick) mention "By and large, do not issue commits from any client indexing to Solr"
>
> In ordert o achieve NRT, I for example test
>      <autoCommit>
>        <maxTime>180000</maxTime> <!-- 3min -->
>        <openSearcher>true</openSearcher>
>      </autoCommit>
>       <autoSoftCommit>
>         <maxTime>10000</maxTime> <!-- 10sec -->
>       </autoSoftCommit>
>
> For (unit)testing purposes
>      <autoCommit>
>        <maxTime>1000</maxTime> <!-- 1sec -->
>        <openSearcher>true</openSearcher>
>      </autoCommit>
>       <autoSoftCommit>
>         <maxTime>500</maxTime> <!-- 500ms -->
>       </autoSoftCommit>
>
> Suggestions are re-built on commit
> <str name="buildOnCommit">true</str>
>
> (Almost) all my unit tests pass. Except for my docDeletion-test: it looks like expungeDeletes
is never "issued" and suggestions of deleted docs are returned.