lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Slow commits
Date Fri, 19 Feb 2016 16:25:30 GMT
On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 8:51 AM, Adam Neal [Extranet] <ANeal@mass.co.uk> wrote:
> I've recently upgraded from 4.10.2 to 5.3.1 and I've hit an issue with slow commits on
one of my cores. The core in question is relatively small (56k docs) and the issue only shows
when commiting after a number of deletes, commiting after additions is fine. As an example
commiting after deleting approximately 10% of the documents takes around 25mins. The same
test on the 4.10.2 instance takes around 1 second.

> I have done some investigation and the problem appears to be caused by having dynamic
fields, the core in question has a large number, performing the same operation on this core
with the dynamic fields removed sees a big improvement on the performance with the commit
taking 11 seconds (still not quite on a par with 4.10.2).

Dynamic fields is a Solr schema concept, and does not translate to any
differences in Lucene.
You may be hitting something due to a large number of fields (at the
lucene level, each field name is a different field).  How many
different fields (i.e. fieldnames) do you have across the entire

-Yonik