lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Solr 4.10 with Jetty 8.1.10 & Tomcat 7
Date Thu, 04 Feb 2016 17:25:37 GMT
On 2/4/2016 9:48 AM, Shahzad Masud wrote:
> Thank you Shawn for your response. I have been using manual shards (old
> mechanism) i.e. seperate context for each shard and each shard pointing to
> seperate data and indexing folder.
>
> Shard 1 = localhost:8983/solr_2014
> Shard 2 = localhost:8983/solr_2015
> Shard 3 = localhost:8983/solr_2016
>
> Do you think this is a good design practise? Can you share an example which
> may help me deploy two shards in one jetty?

Manual sharding typically does *not* involve multiple contexts (webapps)
in your container.

One instance of Solr (using, for example, the /solr context) can handle
many cores.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Solr+Cores+and+solr.xml

This functionality is available in *any* container that Solr supports,
including both Tomcat and Jetty.

Thanks,
Shawn