lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Colin Freas <cfr...@stsci.edu>
Subject Using Solr's spatial functionality for astronomical catalog
Date Tue, 19 Jan 2016 16:07:36 GMT

Greetings!

I have recently stood up an instance of Solr, indexing a catalog of about 100M records representing
points on the celestial sphere.  All of the fields are strings, floats, and non-spatial types.
 I’d like to convert the positional data to an appropriate spatial point data type supported
by Solr.

I have a couple of questions about indexing spatial data using Solr, since it seems spatial4j,
and the spatial functionality in Solr generally, is more GIS geared.  I worry that the measurements
of lat/long on the imperfect sphere of the Earth wouldn’t match up with the astronomical
right ascension/declination concept of the perfectly spherical celestial sphere used to record
the coordinates of our records.

I’m also worried there might be other assumptions built into spatial4j & Solr based
on using a real surface vs a virtual one.

Does anyone have experience doing this, or is there perhaps some documentation specific to
this use case that anyone might be able to point me to?

Thanks in advance,
Colin