lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Mark Horninger <mhornin...@grayhairsoftware.com>
Subject RE: Testing Solr configuration, schema, and other fields
Date Wed, 30 Dec 2015 20:24:47 GMT
Daniel,

Sounds almost like you're reinventing the wheel.  Could you possibly automate this through
puppet or Chef?  With a VDI environment, then all you would need to do is build a new VM Node
based on original setup.  Then you can just roll out the node as one of the zk nodes.

Just a thought on that subject.

v/r,

-Mark H.

-----Original Message-----
From: Davis, Daniel (NIH/NLM) [C] [mailto:daniel.davis@nih.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 3:10 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Testing Solr configuration, schema, and other fields

At my organization, I want to create a tool that allows users to keep a solr configuration
as a Git repository.   Then, I want my Continuous Integration environment to take some branch
of the git repository and "publish" it into ZooKeeper/SolrCloud.

Working on my own, it is only a very small pain to note foolish errors I've made, fix them,
and restart.    However, I want my users to be able to edit their own Solr schema and config
*most* of the time, at least on development servers.    They will not have command-line access
to these servers, and I want to avoid endless restarts.

I'm not interested in fighting to maintain such a useless thing as a DTD/XSD without community
support; what I really want to know is whether Solr will start and can index some sample documents.
  I'm wondering whether I might be able to build a tool to fire up an EmbeddedSolrServer and
capture error messages/exceptions in a reasonable way.     This tool could then be run by
my users before they commit to git, and then again by the CI server before it "publishes"
the configuration to ZooKeeper/SolrCloud.

Any suggestions?

Dan Davis, Systems/Applications Architect (Contractor), Office of Computer and Communications
Systems, National Library of Medicine, NIH

[GrayHair]
GHS Confidentiality Notice

This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)
or distribution of this information is prohibited, and may be punishable by law. If this was
sent to you in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the