lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Alexandre Rafalovitch <arafa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Solr UI open source
Date Thu, 26 Nov 2015 16:14:15 GMT
I am happy to be corrected, but that repository says "This repository
gives a basic outline to creating a functional reverse proxy with
Nginx" as well as the famous last words ("e.t.c.") . Which is why I
feel it is not exactly a turnkey solution I can recommend to a new
Solr user. Is there an example of a full production config anywhere?

Regards,
   Alex.
----
Newsletter and resources for Solr beginners and intermediates:
http://www.solr-start.com/


On 26 November 2015 at 10:51, Doug Turnbull
<dturnbull@opensourceconnections.com> wrote:
> Actually I disagree Alex. We build JS apps that talk straight to Solr all
> the time.
>
> However, we are sure to lock it down pretty heavily. Moreover, these cases
> almost never have sensitive information. You need to think through the
> worst case. As search is often a secondary artifact of a primary database,
> you can often rebuild the data in the worst case. So to me it's not like
> giving users access to your database. The risk is (usually) pretty low.
>
> We have a sample solr nginx proxy that disallows problematic parameters and
> white lists the search endpoint
> https://github.com/o19s/solr_nginx
>
> We also have a framework Spyglass if you are interested in Ember
> https://github.com/o19s/spyglass
>
> -Doug
>
>
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 9:30 AM, Alexandre Rafalovitch <arafalov@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> You should not be exposing Solr directly to the user, that's like
>> giving them a database admin account. Unless you REALLY know what you
>> are doing. So, the Javascript UIs are mostly for internal purposes and
>> for people to play with Solr.
>>
>> Therefore, usually, there is a server-side component that talks to the
>> client and to the Solr and does the conversion of parameters, etc.
>>
>> If your data model not terribly complex, you could look into something
>> like Spring, which has Spring Data Solr integration component.
>> http://spring.io/ You'll need to code the logic of course, but it
>> makes it simpler.
>>
>> If you want something more features out of the box, you could look at
>> Hue from Cloudera http://gethue.com/ . It is mostly for big data, but
>> has quite a number of features for Solr as well. It has some live
>> editing too in the most recent versions, so I am not sure if it goes
>> back into Solr or into a database that Solr is synchronized to.
>>
>> Regards,
>>   Alex.
>> ----
>> Newsletter and resources for Solr beginners and intermediates:
>> http://www.solr-start.com/
>>
>>
>> On 26 November 2015 at 08:59, Chaushu, Shani <shani.chaushu@intel.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> > I want to build UI for Solr that get result to the user and also update
>> the solr back (set for specific field)
>> > I start using ajax-solr because there is good tutorial and it's easy to
>> use, but I didn't saw an example for update, and also I'm not sure the code
>> is stable (no release in GIT)
>> > I saw also banana but it's more complicated and more relevant for time
>> series (my data doesn't have date field)
>> >
>> > What's better for basic solr UI? Ajax-solr or banana?
>> > There is another option? Something that also update the solr and not
>> only one way requests?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Shani
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > Intel Electronics Ltd.
>> >
>> > This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential material for
>> > the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review or distribution
>> > by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
>> > recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies.
>>
>
>
>
> --
> *Doug Turnbull **| *Search Relevance Consultant | OpenSource Connections
> <http://opensourceconnections.com>, LLC | 240.476.9983
> Author: Relevant Search <http://manning.com/turnbull>
> This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be
> Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless
> of whether attachments are marked as such.

Mime
View raw message