lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Is solr.StandardDirectoryFactory an MMapDirectory?
Date Wed, 07 Oct 2015 15:08:07 GMT
On 10/7/2015 8:48 AM, Eric Torti wrote:
> <directoryFactory
> class="${solr.directoryFactory:solr.StandardDirectoryFactory}"
> name="DirectoryFactory"/>
>
> I'm just starting to grasp different strategies for Directory
> implementation. Can I assume that solr.StandardDirectoryFactory is a
> MMapDirectory as described by Uwe Schindler in this post about the use
> of virtual memory?
> [http://blog.thetaphi.de/2012/07/use-lucenes-mmapdirectory-on-64bit.html]

After a look at the code, I found that StandardDirectoryFactory should
use MMap if the OS and Java version support it.  If support isn't there,
it will use conventional file access methods.  As far as I know, all
64-bit Java versions and 64-bit operating systems will support MMap.

The factory you *should* be using is NRTCachingDirectoryFactory, and you
should enable the updateLog to ensure data reliability.

Thanks,
Shawn