lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Andrea Gazzarini <a.gazzar...@gmail.com>
Subject Help on autocomplete / suggester
Date Thu, 24 Sep 2015 09:18:44 GMT
Hi guys,
as part of a customer requirement, I need to provide an autocomplete /
suggester feature. For that reason I started looking at the Suggester
Component.

The target Solr version is not yet determined: I mean, there's another
project in production, of the same customer, which is using Solr 4.7.1
(no SolrCloud, just a master with two slaves) so I guess they will
extend those instances with additional cores, but I'm not sure about
that, maybe they would like to migrate towards a new version  / new
architecture.

Anyway, after reading some info [1]  [2]  [3] about the Suggester, and
after trying a bit with some sample data, I'm not sure if that fits my
needs, because the proposed suggestions must follow these criteria:

  * suffix search: Vi = *Vi*terbo, *Vi*cenza, *Vi*llanova (max priority)
  * infix search: Vi = A*vi*gliano, Tar*vi*sio (medium priority)
  * fuzzy (phonetic?) search: Vitr= Viterbo, Vitorchiano (lowest
    priority, this requirement could be even removed)

  * everything could be constrained by one or more filter queries
  * each suggestion could contain (depending on the use case) up to five
    additional attributes (other than the suggestion itself), so the
    payload provided by the Suggester couldn't be enough (or it would
    require a custom encoding of such data in that field)
  * in a couple of scenarios, the search needs to be executed on several
    fields, with different boosts (e.g. description, address, code) and
    the corresponding suggestions come from another field (e.g. name)
  * I don't have any incremental / delta indexing issue, the whole
    dataset is not huge, a couple of millions of database records, with
    a low grow rate, and I can recreate everything from scratch using
    the DIH

Do you think this is something for the built-in Suggester? Or is this
something that it's better to implement with a RequestHandler with
something like (e)dismax and ngramming?

Many thanks in advance
Andrea

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Suggester