lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Maulin Rathod <mrat...@asite.com>
Subject RE: Replication Sync OR Async?
Date Thu, 10 Sep 2015 05:19:17 GMT
Hi Shawn,

Thanks for reply. If we keep replication Async, Can error handling not work same like replica
down scenario?

-----Original Message-----
From: Shawn Heisey [mailto:apache@elyograg.org]
Sent: 09 September 2015 19:40
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Replication Sync OR Async?

On 9/8/2015 11:16 PM, Maulin Rathod wrote:
> When replicas are running it took around 900 seconds for indexing.
> After stopping replicas it took around 500 seconds for indexing.
>
> Is the replication happens in Sync or Async?  If it is Sync, can we
> make it Async so that it will not affect indexing performance.

Running things in that way results in problems like SOLR-3284, which was an issue long before
SolrCloud arrived on the scene.  If you throw processing to the background, it becomes very
difficult to handle errors.

If you really don't care about knowing whether your indexing succeeded, then something like
this would be helpful.  Most users *do* want to know whether their indexing succeeded.  Feel
free to open an enhancement issue in Jira, but please be aware of the disadvantages of what
you're asking for.

Handling errors correctly is not impossible with async operation, but it is very challenging,
prone to bugs, and may end up erasing any speed advantage.

Thanks,
Shawn