lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: solrcloud: compression in replication handler
Date Fri, 14 Aug 2015 14:10:50 GMT
Why do you think this is desirable? Unless something is
wrong somewhere, i.e. nodes go into recovery regularly,
there is no replication in SolrCloud. The original docs
are forwarded to each replica in a shard, _not_ the
final indexed format.

If you're seeing a lot of recoveries, then _that's_ the
problem you should be addressing. In the normal state,
adding compression to replication is probably not a
good use of time.

And the very _first_ thing I'd do is see what kind of
compression you get on a Lucene index. There's already
been quite a bit of work to make the data structures
compact. The stored data (*.fdt) files are _already_
compressed.

Best,
Erick