lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Lukasz Salwinski <luk...@mbi.ucla.edu>
Subject Re: Embedded Solr now deprecated?
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2015 15:11:20 GMT
On 08/05/2015 08:34 PM, Ken Krugler wrote:
> Hi Shawn,
>
> We have a different use case than the ones you covered in your response to Robert
> (below), which I wanted to call out.
>
> We currently use the embedded server when building indexes as part of a Hadoop
> workflow. The results get copied to a production analytics server and swapped in on
> a daily basis.
>
> Writing to multiple embedded servers (one per reduce task) gives us maximum
> performance, and has proven to be a very reliable method for the daily rebuild of
> pre-aggregations we need for our analytics use case.
>
> Regards,
>
> -- Ken

Hi,
   applications that are ultimately deployed by a third party not well versed in
the intricacies of deploying a full-blown installation of solr would be another
use case.  Embedding the server, either through embedded class or by deploying
it entirely within web application (as opposed to a stand alone server) might be
preferred as it makes deployment much simpler.
    There are applications where solr could be used as a search engine to supplement
their core functionalities but only when one doesnt have to pay the price of overly
complicated deployment of the entire package.

lukasz

> PS - I'm also currently looking at using embedded Solr as a state storage engine for
Samza.

  Lukasz Salwinski                             PHONE:        310-825-1402
  UCLA-DOE Institute                             FAX:        310-206-3914
  UCLA, Los Angeles                            EMAIL: lukasz@mbi.ucla.edu