lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From yura last <y_ura_2...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Big SolrCloud cluster with a lot of collections
Date Sat, 15 Aug 2015 10:22:42 GMT
Hi All, I am testing a SolrCloud with many collections. The version is 5.2.1 and I installed
3 machines – each one with 4 cores and 8 GB Ram.Then I created collections with 3 shards
and replication factor of 2. It gives me 2 cores per collection on each machine.I reached
almost 900 collections and then the cluster was stuck and I couldn’t revive the cluster. As
I understand Solr have issues with many collections (thousands).If I will use much more machines
– does it will give me the ability to create tens of thousands of collections or the limit
is couple of thousands? I want to build a cluster that will handle 10 billion of documents
(currently I have 1 billion) per day and to keep the data for 90 days.I want to support 2000
customers so I would like to split them to collections and also to split it by days. (180,000
collections)If I will create big collections I will have performance issues with queries and
also most of the queries are for a specific customer. (I also have cross customers queries) How
I can build an appropriate design? Thanks a lot,Yuri