lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Distributed queries hang in a non-SolrCloud environment, Solr 4.10.4
Date Mon, 06 Jul 2015 12:51:30 GMT
Are you running with the stock Jetty-based server or did you configure
your own servlet container / config?  Any plugins / extensions to
Solr?

It would be odd for FastLRUCache to be involved - I don't think that
code has changed between 4.8.1 and 4.10.4

-Yonik

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 3:36 PM, Ronald Wood <rwood@smarsh.com> wrote:

> We are running into an issue when doing distributed queries on Solr 4.10.4. We do not
use SolrCloud but instead keep track of shards that need to be searched based on date ranges.

> We have been running distributed queries without incident for several years now, but
we only recently upgraded to 4.10.4 from 4.8.1.

> The query is relatively simple and involves 4 shards, including the aggregator itself.
>
> For a while the server that is acting as the aggregator for the distributed query handles
the requests fine, but after an indefinite amount of usage (in the range of 2-4 hours) it
starts hanging on all distributed queries while serving non-distributed versions  (no shards
list is included) of the same query quickly (9 ms).

> CPU, Heap and System Memory Usage do not seem unusual compared to other servers.
>
> I had initially suspect that distributed searches combined with faceting might be part
of the issue, since I had seen some long-running threads that seemed to spend a long time
in the FastLRUCache when getting facets for a single field. However, in the latest case of
blocked queries, I am not seeing that.

> We have two slaves that replicate from a master, and we were saw the issue recur after
a while of client usage, ruling out a hardware issue.

> Does anyone have any suggestions for potential avenues of attack for getting to the bottom
of this? Or are there any known issues that could be implicated in this?