lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Setup cloud collection
Date Thu, 16 Jul 2015 12:57:05 GMT
On 7/16/2015 5:51 AM, SolrUser2015 wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to solr!
>
> So downloaded version 5.2 and modified the solr file so it allows me to create a 5 node
cluster:

>> 5 shards and replication factor 3 <
>
> Now I see that one node is marked as leader for 3 shards.
>
> So my question is, how can 1 node serve requests for 3 shards, wouldn't that be uneven
distribution of load?

SolrCloud will distribute individual queries to different replicas, so
over time the entire cloud will be used.  The leader role shouldn't
affect queries, that role is mostly there for indexing and fault handling.

If you are really concerned about this, you can assign preferred leaders
and then ask Solr to reshuffle them.  I have never used this
functionality.  Here's the documentation on it:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Collections+API#CollectionsAPI-RebalanceLeaders

Thanks,
Shawn