lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Joel Bernstein <joels...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to improve the performance of query with expand query
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2015 15:10:20 GMT
Ok, this explains the slowness. The expand.q returns 380 documents but it's
actually postfiltering the entire 70 million+ result set in the case of
expand.q=*:*. The problem is the postfilter only approach that Expand uses
in Solr 4.x.

Expand was originally designed to use the main query as the expand.q, which
typically produces smaller result sets. It was also designed mainly to be
used with Collapse, where it's main job was to expand the collapsed result
set, which would have been limited by the main query.

Solr 5, will be much faster for the scenario that you are using.

Joel Bernstein
http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/