lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Davis, Daniel (NIH/NLM) [C]" <daniel.da...@nih.gov>
Subject RE: Solr VS Google Mini Search Appliance
Date Tue, 28 Apr 2015 15:31:30 GMT
Branko,

Your client's existing "enterprise search" isn't supported now, so  I'm not saying that you
should stick with Google Mini Search appliance.   However, there are some things that Solr
doesn't do well, and you should be aware of these before advocating Solr as a pure developer.
   Here are some factors that might lead them to stay with what they know:

*        What else do they have in the Google Mini Search appliance?

*        Do they have other applications/systems outside of Ektron CMS that are indexed/searched
by the Google Mini Search appliance?

*        Do they make use of document-level security implemented by the Google Mini Search
appliance?

*        Are they concerned about role-based access control (RBAC) to a Web UI?

*        Do they have many different search interfaces built on-top of the Google Mini Search
appliance?

Here are some arguments in favor of using the Solr/CMS integration:

*        The Ektron CMS handles the "front-end" of search, and so branding of the search is
entirely within the CMS.

*        Indexing will be up-to-date more quickly after content is published(or promoted),
rather than once the periodic scheduled indexing is performed.

*        Solr can handle multiple collections of indexed data, and building a search application
in front of Solr is just as easy as customizing a search application provided by Google Mini
Search appliance.

Hope this helps,

Dan Davis, Systems/Applications Architect (Contractor),
Office of Computer and Communications Systems,
National Library of Medicine, NIH