lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Marcelo Valle (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON)" <mvallemil...@bloomberg.net>
Subject multivalued fields or multiple fields?
Date Fri, 10 Apr 2015 09:46:04 GMT
I have a model where I store a field called `uuid_scores` in a document and save values with
the following format:
123_456 - where 123 is uuid and 456 is the score.

To retrieve scores for uuid 123, I search all documents where uuid_scores field starts with
123_ and then I read only the values that start with 123_ in the answer.

The problem is I can have about 100k values in this multi valued field, so it can be hard
to retrieve just what I want, as stated in http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29535197/how-to-filter-values-returned-on-a-multivalued-field-in-solr

Someone suggested me using 1 field per uuid. So instead of just 1 multi valued field, I would
have about 100k fields, with names like score_123 (and value [456]).

Is there a problem in having so many fields in Solr? What are the advantages / disadvantages
if:

*I have to update this document later adding one more value
*I need fast inserts when inserting the document in the first time
*I need to query everything related to 1 uuid, so what would be the faster option to search?

Thanks
-Marcelo