lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: i'm a newb: questions about schema.xml
Date Fri, 27 Mar 2015 00:22:49 GMT
This is key: managed-schema

You've managed to get things started with the "managed schema".
Therefore, you need to use the REST API to
add/subtract/multiply/divide. This is different than "schemaless",
although it _is_ related. And they're both different than having a
schema.xml to edit.

Or start over _without_ a managed schema, not quite sure how you
started that way in the first place ;). You may have used bin/solr
start -e schemaless.... when you started and maybe forgot?

Here's a place to start:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Managed+Schema+Definition+in+SolrConfig

Best,
Erick

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 4:41 PM, Mark Bramer <MBramer@esri.com> wrote:
> Hi Shawn,
>
> Definitely helpful to know about the instance and files stuff in Admin.  I'm not running
cloud, so I looked in the /conf directory but there's no schema.xml:

> Here's what's in my core's Files:
>   currency.xml
>   elevate.xml
>   lang
>   params.json
>   protwords.txt
>   solrconfig.xml
>   stopwords.txt
>   synonyms.txt
>
> and echoed by ls -l:
>
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  3974 Feb 15 11:38 currency.xml
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  1348 Feb 15 11:38 elevate.xml
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 Mar 23 10:46 lang
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 29733 Mar 23 18:04 managed-schema
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   308 Feb 15 11:38 params.json
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   873 Feb 15 11:38 protwords.txt
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 60591 Feb 15 11:38 solrconfig.xml
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   781 Feb 15 11:38 stopwords.txt
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  1119 Feb 15 11:38 synonyms.txt

and also online at the info available.  But one thing just isn't jiving and I can't put my
finger on why.  I've searched many many times but I don't see what I'm looking for, so I'm
thinking perhaps I have a fundamental semantic misunderstanding of something somewhere.  Everywhere
I read, everyone talks about schema.xml and how important is.  I fully get what it's for but
I don't get where it is, how it's used (by me), how I edit it, and how I create new indexes
once I've edited it.

>> I've installed, and am successfully running, solr 5.0.0 on Linux.  I've followed
the widely recommended-by-all quick start at: http://lucene.apache.org/solr/quickstart.html.
 I get through it fine, I post a bunch of stuff, I use the web UI to query for, and see, data
I would expect to see.  Should I now have a schema.xml file somewhere that is somehow connected
to my new index?  If so, where is it?  Was it present from install or did it get created when
I made my first core (bin/solr create -c ati_docs)?

>> [root@machine solr-5.0.0]# find -name schema.xml
>> ./example/example-DIH/solr/tika/conf/schema.xml
>> ./example/example-DIH/solr/rss/conf/schema.xml
>> ./example/example-DIH/solr/solr/conf/schema.xml
>> ./example/example-DIH/solr/db/conf/schema.xml
>> ./example/example-DIH/solr/mail/conf/schema.xml
>> ./server/solr/configsets/basic_configs/conf/schema.xml
>> ./server/solr/configsets/sample_techproducts_configs/conf/schema.xml
>> [root@machine solr-5.0.0]#
>>
>> Is it the one in /configsets/basic_configs/conf?  Is that the "default" one?
>>
>> If I want to 'modify' schema.xml to do some different indexing/analyzing, how do
I start?  Make a copy of that schema.xml, move it somewhere else and modify it?  If so, how
do I create a new index using this schema.xml?

>> Or am I running in "schemaless" mode?  I don't think I am because it
>> appears that I would have to specifically state this as a command line
>> parameter, i.e. bin/solr start -e schemaless
>>
>> What fundamentals am I missing?  I'm coming to Solr from Elasticsearch, and I've
already recognized some differences.  Is my ES background clouding my grasp of Solr fundamentals?

> Hopefully you know what core you are using, so you can go to the admin UI and find it
in the "Core Selector" dropdown list.  Assuming you can do that, you will find yourself looking
at the "Overview" tab for that core.

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Using+the+Solr+Administration+User+Interface
>
> Once you are looking at the core overview, in the upper right corner of your browser
window is a section called "Instance" ... which has an entry that is ALSO called "Instance."
 Inside the directory indicated by that field, you should have a conf directory.  The config
and schema for that index are found in that conf directory.

> If you're running SolrCloud, then you can forget everything I just said ... the active
configs will be found within the zookeeper database, and you can use the Cloud->Tree tab
in the admin UI to find your collections and see which configName is linked to each one.
You'll want to become familiar with the zkcli script in server/scripts/cloud-scripts.

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Command+Line+Utilities
>
> Whether it is SolrCloud or not, you can always LOOK at your configs right in the admin
UI -- click on the "Files" tab after you select the core from the selector.