lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: how to change configurations in solrcloud setup
Date Wed, 11 Mar 2015 08:18:34 GMT
On 3/11/2015 12:43 AM, Aman Tandon wrote:
> Thanks Nitin for replying, isn't it will be costly operation to restart all
> nodes.
>
> What i am doing in this is uploading the configurations again to zookeeper
> and then reloading my core. And it is working well. So am i missing
> something?

Yes, that is enough, except that you should reload the collection, which
will reload all cores for that collection.  Fully restarting all Solr
instances is not required for most changes to a collection config.

There is an exception - when you are adding config that uses new jars
added to ${solr.solr.home}/lib after Solr startup.  In that situation, a
restart would be required so that the new jars get loaded.  It is
strongly recommended that you use an external zookeeper and that you do
a rolling restart, where you restart one node, wait for the cloud graph
in the admin UI to show 100% green, then restart the next node.

Nitin's suggestion shows the zkcli.sh script starting with "sudo" which
runs the command as root.  This is not necessary.  As long as the
contents of the example directory (or server directory in 5.0) is
accessible to a normal user and the script is marked executable for that
user, no special permissions are required.

Thanks,
Shawn