lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From steve <sc_shep...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Performing DIH on predefined list of IDS
Date Sat, 21 Feb 2015 21:37:37 GMT
Thank you! Another 4xx error that makes sense. Quoting from the Book of StackOverFlowhttp://stackoverflow.com/questions/2659952/maximum-length-of-http-get-request"Most
webservers have a limit of 8192 bytes (8KB), which is usually configureable somewhere in the
server configuration. As to the client side matter, the HTTP 1.1 specification even warns
about this, here's an extract of chapter 3.2.1:Note: Servers ought to be cautious about depending
on URI lengths above 255 bytes, because some older client or proxy implementations might not
properly support these lengths.The limit is in MSIE and Safari about 2KB, in Opera about 4KB
and in Firefox about 8KB. We may thus assume that 8KB is the maximum possible length and that
2KB is a more affordable length to rely on at the server side and that 255 bytes is the safest
length to assume that the entire URL will come in.If the limit is exceeded in either the browser
or the server, most will just truncate the characters outside the limit without any warning.
Some servers however may send a HTTP 414 error. If you need to send large data, then better
use POST instead of GET. Its limit is much higher, but more dependent on the server used than
the client. Usually up to around 2GB is allowed by the average webserver. This is also configureable
somewhere in the server settings. The average server will display a server-specific error/exception
when the POST limit is exceeded, usually as HTTP 500 error."
> From: wunder@wunderwood.org
> Subject: Re: Performing DIH on predefined list of IDS
> Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 09:50:46 -0800
> To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
>
> The HTTP protocol does not set a limit on GET URL size, but individual web servers usually
do. You should get a response code of “414 Request-URI Too Long” when the URL is too long.

> This limit is usually configurable.
>
> wunder
> Walter Underwood
> wunder@wunderwood.org
>

> On Feb 21, 2015, at 12:46 AM, steve <sc_shepard@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Careful with the GETs! There is a real, hard limit on the length of a GET url (in
the low hundreds of characters). That's why a POST is so much better for complex queries;
the limit is in the hundreds of MegaBytes.