lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Moshe Recanati <mos...@kmslh.com>
Subject RE: Stop solr query
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2015 12:21:28 GMT

Mobile  + 972-52-6194481
Skype    :  recanati

More at:  www.kmslh.com | LinkedIn | FB

-----Original Message-----
From: Shawn Heisey [mailto:apache@elyograg.org]
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2015 5:49 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Stop solr query

On 2/23/2015 7:23 AM, Moshe Recanati wrote:
> Recently there were some scenarios in which queries that user sent to
> solr got stuck and increased our solr heap.
>
> Is there any option to kill or timeout query that wasn't returned from
> solr by external command?

The best thing you can do is examine all user input and stop such queries before they execute,
especially if they are the kind of query that will cause your heap to grow out of control.

The "timeAllowed" parameter can abort a query that takes too long in certain phases of the
query.  In recent months, Solr has been modified so that timeAllowed will take effect during
more query phases.  It is not a perfect solution, but it can be better than nothing.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CommonQueryParameters#timeAllowed

Be aware that sometimes legitimate queries will be slow, and using timeAllowed may cause those
queries to fail.

Thanks,
Shawn