lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: how to debug solr performance degradation
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2015 01:23:12 GMT
On 2/24/2015 5:45 PM, Tang, Rebecca wrote:
> We gave the machine 180G mem to see if it improves performance.  However,
> after we increased the memory, Solr started using only 5% of the physical
> memory.  It has always used 90-something%.
>
> What could be causing solr to not grab all the physical memory (grabbing
> so little of the physical memory)?

I would like to know what memory numbers in which program you are
looking at, and why you believe those numbers are a problem.

The JVM has a very different view of memory than the operating system.
Numbers in "top" mean different things than numbers on the dashboard of
the admin UI, or the numbers in jconsole.  If you're on Windows, then
replace "top" with task manager, process explorer, resource monitor, etc.

Please provide as many details as you can about the things you are
looking at.

Thanks,
Shawn