lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Solr on Tomcat
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2015 17:05:13 GMT
On 2/10/2015 9:48 AM, Matt Kuiper wrote:
> I am starting to look in to Solr 5.0.  I have been running Solr 4.* on Tomcat.   I was
surprised to find the following notice on https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Running+Solr+on+Tomcat
  (Marked as Unreleased)

>      Beginning with Solr 5.0, Support for deploying Solr as a WAR in servlet containers
like Tomcat is no longer supported.

> I want to verify that it is true that Solr 5.0 will not be able to run on Tomcat, and
confirm that the recommended way to deploy Solr 5.0 is as a Linux service.

Solr will eventually (hopefully soon) be entirely its own application.
The documentation you have seen in the reference guide is there to
prepare users for this eventuality.

Right now we are in a transition period.  We have built scripts for
controlling the start and stop of the example server installation.
Under the covers, Solr is still a web application contained in a war and
the example server still runs an unmodified copy of jetty.  Down the
road, when Solr will becomes a completely standalone application, we
will merely have to modify the script wrapper to use it, and the user
may not even notice the change.

With 5.0, if you want to run in tomcat, you will be able to find the war
in the download's server/webapps directory and use it just like you do
now ... but we will be encouraging people to NOT do this, because
eventually it will be completely unsupported.

Thanks,
Shawn