lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Bram Van Dam <bram.van...@intix.eu>
Subject Re: How large is your solr index?
Date Sun, 11 Jan 2015 16:23:05 GMT
> Do note that one strategy is to create more shards than you need at
> the beginning. Say you determine that 10 shards will work fine, but
> you expect to grow your corpus by 2x. _Start_  with 20 shards
> (multiple shards can be hosted in the same JVM, no problem, see
> maxShardsPerNode in the collections API CREATE action. Then
> as your corpus grows you can move the shards to their own
> boxes.

I guess planning ahead is something we can do. We usually have a pretty
good idea of how large our indexes are going to be (number of documents
is one of the things we base our license pricing on). I still feel like
shard management could be made easier. I'll see if I can have a look at
JIRA and try to pitch in.

Thanks a lot for the input, especially Shawn & Erick!