lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From David Smith <dsmiths...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Slow faceting performance on a docValues field
Date Tue, 13 Jan 2015 21:22:16 GMT
Shawn,
I've been thinking along your lines, and continued to run tests through the day.  The results
surprised me.

For my index, Solr range faceting time is most closely related to the total number of documents
in the index for the range specified.  The number of "buckets" in the range is a second factor.

I found NO correlation whatsoever to the number of hits in the query.  Whether I have 3 hits
or 1,500,000 hits, it's ~24 seconds to facet the result for that same time period.  That
is what surprised me.

For example, if my facet range is a 10 year period for which there exists 47M docs in the
index, the facet time is 24 seconds.  If I switch my facet range to a different 10 year period
with 1.3M docs, the facet time drops to less than 5 seconds.

If I go back to my original 10 year period (with 47M docs in the index), but facet by month
instead of day, my facet time drops to 2.5 seconds.  Now, I can't meet my user needs this
way, but it does show the relationship between # of buckets and faceting time.

Regards,

David