lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <erik.hatc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Creating a Custom Query Response Writer
Date Sat, 06 Dec 2014 11:40:19 GMT
Ryan - I just pulled Taming Text off my shelf and refreshed my memory of this custom response
writer.

While having a custom writer is a neat example, it’s unnecessary for that particular functionality.
 Solr has a built-in templatable response writer, the VelocityResponseWriter.  You can see
it in action for a similar suggest feature in Solr’s example /browse interface (type “ip”
and wait a second in the /browse UI with the sample data indexed).  In there is a little bit
of jQuery autocomplete plugin usage that calls back to the /terms handler, using a suggest.vm
template (in conf/velocity).  The difference with the Taming Text example is that it is returns
stored fields of a standard search rather than just raw terms; with a little adjustment you
can get basically the same thing as TT.  Leveraging the Solr example (v4.10.2 for me here),
I created a conf/velocity/typeahead.vm:

  <ul>
    #foreach($doc in $response.results)
      <li>$doc.name</li>
    #end
  </ul>

(the docs in the example data have a ‘name’ field)

This request  http://localhost:8983/solr/collection1/select?q=name%3Aip*&wt=velocity&v.template=typeahead
<http://localhost:8983/solr/collection1/select?q=name:ip*&wt=velocity&v.template=typeahead>
results in this response:

  <ul>
      <li>Belkin Mobile Power Cord for iPod w/ Dock</li>
      <li>iPod & iPod Mini USB 2.0 Cable</li>
      <li>Apple 60 GB iPod with Video Playback Black</li>
  </ul>

	Erik