lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: How large is your solr index?
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2014 02:42:37 GMT
On 12/29/2014 2:30 PM, Toke Eskildsen wrote:
> At Lucene/Solr Revolution 2014, Grant Ingersoll also asked for user stories and pointed
to https://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrUseCases - sadly it has not caught on. The only entry
is for our (State and University Library, Denmark) setup with 21TB / 7 billion documents on
a single machine. To follow my own advice, I can elaborate that we have 1-3 concurrent users
and a design goal of median response times below 2 seconds for faceted search. I guess that
is at the larger end at the spectrum for pure size, but at the very low end for usage.

Off-Topic tangent:

I believe it would be useful to organize a session at Lucene Revolution,
possibly more interactive than a straight presentation, where users with
very large indexes are encouraged to attend.  The point of this session
would be to exchange war stories, configuration requirements, hardware
requirements, and observations.

Bringing people with similar goals together to discuss their solutions
should be beneficial.  The discussions could pinpoint areas where Solr
and SolrCloud are weak on scalability, and hopefully lead to issues in
Jira and fixes for those problems.  Better documentation for extreme
scaling is also a possible outcome.

Another idea, not sure if it would be good as an alternate idea or
supplemental, is a less formal gathering, perhaps over a meal or three.

My index is hardly large enough to mention, but I would be interested in
attending such a gathering to learn more about the topic.

Thanks,
Shawn