lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Solrcloud and remote Zookeeper ensemble
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2014 14:32:03 GMT
Alan's comment is spot on, and it's the first thing I'd try.

Beyond that, though, this forum really doesn't have much
knowledge about various company's bundling for Solr and
associated support tools so you might get more knowledgeable

Just in case there's a thundering silence ;)

Best,
Erick

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 5:37 AM, Alan Woodward <alan@flax.co.uk> wrote:
>> SOLR_ZK_ENSEMBLE=zookeeper1:2181/solr,zookeeper2:2181/solr,zookeeper3:2181/solr
>
> This is the incorrect part, it should be:
>
>> SOLR_ZK_ENSEMBLE=zookeeper1:2181,zookeeper2:2181,zookeeper3:2181/solr
>
> The chroot is only appended at the end of the connection string.  Not the way I would
have done it, but that's how ZK works...

> Alan Woodward
> www.flax.co.uk
>

> On 19 Nov 2014, at 12:54, Robert Kent wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm experiencing some odd behaviour with Solrcloud and Zookeeper.  I am running Solrcloud
on one host and am running three Zookeepers on another three hosts.  The Zookeeper part of
things works correctly, I can add/remove/etc nodes from Zookeeper.  I am running, or rather
trying to run, Solrcloud on top of Hadoop.  Again, the Hadoop side of things works correctly,
I can create/remove/etc dirs/files under Hadoop.

>> Unfortunately, the solrctl utility bundled with Solrcloud doesn't appear to work
correctly.  Depending on how or where I set the Zookeeper ensemble details I get different
results.  My Zookeeper instances are used by other services, so I am trying to force the Solrcloud
configuration to be created under /solr - from reading the documentation this appears to be
the recommended appraoch.

>> I have set the Zookeeper ensemble and Hadoop configuration in /etc/default/solr:
>>
>> SOLR_ZK_ENSEMBLE=zookeeper1:2181/solr,zookeeper2:2181/solr,zookeeper3:2181/solr
>> SOLR_HDFS_HOME=hdfs://zookeeper1:8020/solr
>> SOLR_HDFS_CONFIG=/etc/hadoop/conf
>> SOLR_HDFS_HOME=hdfs://3xNodeHA:8020/solr
>>
>> If I do not specify any Zookeeper parameters for solrctl it creates it Zookeeper
configuration under '/solr,zookeeper2:2181' and under that is creates  '/solr,zookeeper3:2181/solr/configs/my-data'.
 This also occurs if I specify --zk zookeeper1:2181/solr,zookeeper2:2181/solr,zookeeper3:2181/solr.
 I suspect that something somewhere is not treating the SOLR_ZK_ENSEMBLE variable correctly
and believes it is a single connection (eg zookeeper1:2181) and the path is /solr,zookeeper2:2181,zookeeper3:2181/solr.

>> If I run solrctl with --zk zookeeper1:2181, it creates its configuration under /
(eg /solr.xml /configs).

>> If I run solrctl with --zk zookeeper1:2181/solr, it creates the configuration under
/solr

>> If I completely ignore the Zookeeper configuration Solr works correctly, but as I'm
using Lily I need Solr's configuration to exist under Zookeeper.

>> What am I missing?  How can I specify a multi-node Zookeeper ensemble and have all
of the configuration nodes created under /solr?  How do I point Tomcat towards the Solr configuration
under /solr?

>> If you would like more details, please look at the attachment as this explains what
I did at each step and the results of that step.

>> I'm using Cloudera's packages throughout.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Rob
>>
>> Registered name: In Practice Systems Ltd.
>> Registered address: The Bread Factory, 1a Broughton Street, London, SW8 3QJ
>> Registered Number: 1788577
>> Registered in England
>> Visit our Internet Web site at www.inps.co.uk
>> The information in this internet email is confidential and is intended solely for
the addressee. Access, copying or re-use of information in it by anyone else is not authorised.
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
those of INPS or any of its affiliates. If you are not the intended recipient please contact
 is.helpdesk@inps.co.uk