lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Ramkumar R. Aiyengar" <andyetitmo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sharding configuration
Date Sat, 01 Nov 2014 12:32:34 GMT
On 30 Oct 2014 14:49, "Shawn Heisey" <apache@elyograg.org> wrote:

> In order to see a gain in performance from multiple shards per server,
> the server must have a lot of CPUs and the query rate must be fairly
> low.  If the query rate is high, then all the CPUs will be busy just
> handling simultaneous queries, so putting multiple shards per server
> will probably slow things down.  When query rate is low, multiple CPUs
> can handle each shard query simultaneously, speeding up the overall query.

Except that your query latency isn't always CPU bound, there's a
significant IO bound portion as well. I wouldn't go so far as to say that
will large query volumes you shouldn't use multiple shards -- finally comes
down to how many shards a machine can handle under peak load, it could
depend on CPU/IO/GC pressure.. We have multiple shards on a machine under
heavy query load for example. The only real way is to benchmark this and
see..