lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From nabil Kouici <koui...@yahoo.fr>
Subject Re: Shard not accessible after restarting
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2014 17:43:24 GMT
Thank you for this replay. I don't understand why solr load my shard in physical memory before
becoming available. Is it related to LRU cache management?
Regards,Nabil.

     Le Lundi 13 octobre 2014 16h20, Shawn Heisey <apache@elyograg.org> a écrit :

 On 10/13/2014 1:15 AM, nabil Kouici wrote:
> This gives me a good understanding. However, I think that slowness in start-up in my
case is due to segmentation. Before restarting my index contains 42 segments with 30GB. After
restarting, index is in one segment with 22GB. So, I think that shard unavailability is coming
from optimization process which is executed when we restart solr.

> Is there any option is solr to avoid this implicit optimization on startup?
>
> What I learned from this experience is that we need to do explicit optimization in regular
period to avoid a huge number of segments. Is it a best practice in solr?

Solr will *never* do an optimize unless you tell it to.

During indexing, Solr does merge segments, but it is exceptionally rare
for an automatic merge to create only one segment, and as far as I know,
merging will never happen on startup, only when you index.

If an optimization is happening on startup, then something somewhere is
asking Solr to do it ... but searches should still be possible, even
during an optimize.

Startup should not be affected very much by an index that has a lot of
segments.  It will be a little bit slower, but the difference should be
small.

Thanks,
Shawn