lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Greg Solovyev <g...@zimbra.com>
Subject Re: How to restore an index from a backup over HTTP
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2014 18:30:12 GMT
Shawn, the format that I am referencing is "filestream", which starts with 2 bytes carrying
file size, then 4 bytes carrying checksum (optional) and then the actual bits of the file.

Thanks,
Greg

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shawn Heisey" <solr@elyograg.org>
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2014 12:28:12 AM
Subject: Re: How to restore an index from a backup over HTTP

On 8/16/2014 4:03 AM, Greg Solovyev wrote:
> Thanks Shawn, this is a pretty cool idea. Adding the handler seems pretty straight forward,
but the main concern I have is the internal data format that ReplicationHandler and SnapPuller
use. This new handler as well as the code that I've already written to download the index
files from Solr will depend on that format. Unfortunately, this format is not documented and
is not abstracted by SolrJ, so I wonder what I can do to make sure it does not change on us
without notice.

I am not really sure what format you're referencing here, but I'm about
99% sure the format *over the wire* is javabin.  When the javabin format
changed between 1.4.1 and 3.1.0, replication between those versions
became impossible.

Historical: The Solr version made a huge leap after the Solr and Lucene
development was merged -- it was synchronized with the Lucene version.
There are no 1.5, 2.x, or 3.0 versions of Solr.

Thanks,
Shawn