lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Does Solr move documents between shards when the value of the shard key is updated ?
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2014 01:42:39 GMT
bq: Is this a BUG or a FEATURE in Solr

How about "just the way it works"?

You've changed the route key with the same
unique key, taking control of the routing.

When you change that routing, how is Solr to
know where the _old_ document lived? It would
have to, say, query the entire cluster for any doc
that had the given <uniqueKey> and delete it,
something that'd be horribly slow.

As to your follow-up question, I'm not totally sure.
I believe the delete is sent to all shards, but why
don't you test to see?

Best,
Erick