lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Dyer, James" <James.D...@ingramcontent.com>
Subject RE: Endeca to Solr Migration
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2014 14:44:44 GMT
We migrated a big application from Endeca (6.0, I think) a several years ago.  We were not
using any of the business UI tools, but we found that Solr is a lot more flexible and performant
than Endeca.  But with more flexibility comes more you need to know.

The hardest thing was to migrate the Endeca dimensions to Solr facets.  We had endeca-api
specific dependencies throughout the application, even in the presentation layer.  We ended
up writing a bridge api that allowed us to keep our endeca-specific code and translate the
queries to solr queries.  We are storing a cross-reference between the "N" values from Endeca
and key/value pairs to translate something like N=4000 to "fq=Language:English".  With solr,
there is more you need to do in your app that the backend doesn't manage for you.  In the
end, though, it lets you sparate your concerns better.

James Dyer
Ingram Content Group
(615) 213-4311

-----Original Message-----
From: mrg81 [mailto:mayankr@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2014 1:11 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Endeca to Solr Migration

Hello --

    I wanted to get some details on Endeca to Solr Migration. I am
interested in few topics:

1. We would like to migrate the Faceted Navigation, Boosting individual
records and a few other items.
2. But the biggest question is about the UI [Experience Manager] - I have
not found a tool that comes close to Experience Manager. I did read about
Hue [In response to Gareth's question on Migration], but it seems that we
will have to do a lot of customization to use that.

Questions:

1. Is there a UI that we can use? Is it possible to un-hook the Experience
Manager UI and point to Solr?
2. How long does a typical migration take? Assuming that we have to migrate
the Faceted Navigation and Boosted records?

Thanks