lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Aurélien MAZOYER <aurelien.mazo...@francelabs.com>
Subject Passivate core in Solr Cloud
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2014 12:55:28 GMT
Hello,

We want to setup a Solr Cloud cluster in order to handle a high volume
of documents with a multi-tenant architecture. The problem is that an
application-level isolation for a tenant (using a mutual index with a
field "customer") is not enough to fit our requirements. As a result, we
need 1 collection/customer. There is more than a thousand customers and
it seems unreasonable to create thousands of collections in Solr
Cloud... But as we know that there are less than 1 query/customer/day,
we are currently looking for a way to passivate collection when they are
not in use. Can it be a good idea? If yes, are there best practices to
implement this? What side effects can we expect? Do we need to put some
application-level logic on top on the Solr Cloud cluster to choose which
collection we have to unload (and maybe there is something smarter (and
quicker?) than simply loading/unloading the core when it is not in used?) ?

Thank you for your answer(s),

Aurelien