lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RAMDirectoryFactory setting on replication slave
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2014 15:17:46 GMT
Please don't. At least not until you prove that this
is where your bottleneck is. You haven't described
what you're trying to fix by making such a change.

Solr/Lucene already works a _lot_ to keep the relevant bits of
the index in memory. Additionally, the defaults use
MMapDirectory, which makes use of the OS cache
to hold yet more of the index in memory, see:
http://blog.thetaphi.de/2012/07/use-lucenes-mmapdirectory-on-64bit.html

This feels like an "XY" problem, what is the reason you're
interested?

Best,
Erick