lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Amey Patil <amey.pa...@germin8.com>
Subject How sorting works with multiple shards?
Date Wed, 28 May 2014 13:49:51 GMT
Hi,

I wanted to know how sorting works with multiple shards.

Suppose I have queried with 4 shards specified. Records per page specified
as 100 & sort-field as creationDate. So will it sort & fetch 100 documents
from each shard, and then they will be aggregated, sorted again & top 100
will be given as a result discarding remaining 300?

My use case is -

I want to fetch documents with doc-id say A (or B or C etc.) and category W
X Y Z. Solr shards are created based on field "category", so all the
documents with category W are in shard-W, all the documents with type X are
in shard-X and so on...

1st approach - query will be
(doc-id:A AND category:(W OR X)) OR (doc-id:B AND category:(W OR Y)) OR
  (doc-id:C AND category:(W OR X OR Y OR Z)).... sorted on creationDate
Hit the query on all the shards.

2nd approach - there will be multiple queries
category:W AND (doc-id:(A OR B OR C))... sorted on creationDate. Hit this
query on shard-W
category:X AND (doc-id:(A OR C))... sorted on creationDate. Hit this query
on shard-X
category:Y AND (doc-id:(B OR C))... sorted on creationDate. Hit this query
on shard-Y
category:Z AND (doc-id:(C))... sorted on creationDate. Hit this query on
shard-Z
So there will be 4 queries, but avoiding the sort on aggregation.

I am using solr 3.4

Which approach will be efficient? My assumption about the working of
sorting in solr shards, is it correct?

Thanks,
Amey