lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: to reduce indexing time
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2014 21:46:31 GMT
On 3/5/2014 2:31 PM, Toby Lazar wrote:
> I believe SolrJ uses XML under the covers.  If so, I don't think you would
> improve performance by switching to SolrJ, since the client would convert
> it to XML before sending it on the wire.

Until recently, SolrJ always used XML by default for requests and
javabin for responses.  That is moving to javabin for both.  This is
already the case in the newest versions for CloudSolrServer.
HttpSolrServer is still using the XML RequestWriter by default, but you
can change this very easily to BinaryRequestWriter.  If you plan to use
SolrJ, it's a change I would highly recommend.

Thanks,
Shawn