lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Toke Eskildsen ...@statsbiblioteket.dk>
Subject RE: Best SSD block size for large SOLR indexes
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2014 20:52:40 GMT
Salman Akram [salman.akram@northbaysolutions.net] wrote:

[Hundreds of GB index]

> http://www.storagereview.com/micron_p420m_enterprise_pcie_ssd_review

May I ask why you have chosen a drive with such a high speed and matching cost?

We have some years of experience with using SSDs for search at work and it is our experience
that commodity SSDs performs very well (one test showed something like 80% of RAM speed, YMMW).
It seems to me that more servers with commodity SSDs could very well be cheaper and give better
throughput than the beast(s) you're using. Are you trying to minimize latency "at all cost"?

Regards,
Toke Eskildsen